Monday, May 11, 2009

One small step for the Earth, one giant leap towards becoming a big girl

Well, we have a big announcement-Mackenzie is potty trained!!

Mostly. Probably. Hopefully.

We went cold turkey with the diapers last Sunday and one week later we think she is trained. She is still wearing the nappies at nighttime and during her nap (though she has woken up dry from her nap almost everyday this past week) but otherwise it's knickers all day long.

My plan was to do the 72 hours-at-home-with-a-bare-bottom training method that I've read and heard is quite successful but we had to modify it a bit after one day. For one, we have way too much carpet and upoholstry to keep clean and two, we had places to go.

The first couple of days there were several accidents, then once we got her pattern down we were catching most in the toilet and now she's telling us fairly accurately when she has to go. We've been accident free for four days so while I still am quite on edge for any signs that she has to go, it feels like we're on our way to success.

We dealt with a couple public accidents and have braved several public potties, my biggest fears, and survived so at least I'm more confident with this process.

Like anyone, Mac doesn't like the icky public bathrooms but I put on my fake smile like it doesn't bother me a bit and we do the hover and quick go and most importantly, wash well when done. She's giving daddy a hard time about using the toilet when we're out in public but I'm sure it's because she knows she's in a boy potty and she's a follow-the-rules-kind-of-girl so it m ust seem wrong to her.

Hopefully I didn't jinx us by posting this but I think we're one step closer to having a big girl in our house!

4 comments:

Dachshund Spa said...

That's great news! I thought I would have serious reservations about giving up the diapers (they're just so darn convenient), but other than frequenting EVERY public washroom this side of the Mississippi, it's not half bad... ;P Mac might be hesitant now, but just wait until she decides every potty in every public place is a spot she wants to check out... multiple times in one sitting.

Unlike most parents, we're too darn lazy to take any initiative of our own. We just wait for Izze to tell us when she wants to do stuff. Last week, she insisted we now fly completely without a net (all we had left was the nighttime diaper which has been dry for months). I'm a wreck, but she's much happier. Go figure!

Melissa said...

Way to go Mackenzie!!! Such a big girl. I wish I could be there to cheer you on in person.

Liam wants to send his well wishes "Good job Kenzie, you did it!"

Anonymous said...

Well done Mackenzie!!! Such a big girl. Nami is so proud of you and sends you lots and lots of love!

Anonymous said...

Hard to believe you have passed this milestone--soon it will be college applications. You are growing up so fast and we are fortunate that your mom and dad share with us. Just think of all of the bathrooms you haven't seen yet--just remember there is not a bathroom once you get on the Eye.

Love, hugs and kisses to all.