Thursday, March 5, 2009

Greenwich

Still trying to catch up so bear with me. I'm just posting the pics unedited as I figure sloppy is better than nothing, right?

A couple of Saturdays ago, on February 21, we had a lovely, lovely Saturday and I had one of those days where I fell completely in love with London.


We took the commuter boat

(yep, people commute on boats here too. In fact during the bad snow storm a few weeks ago the boats were about the only transportation operating mostly on time.) to Greenwich and the ride there and back was almost as great as the town itself.

We got to see so many of the grand historic sites and modern skyline, I loved it.





Tower Bridge


Silly Mac with the Swiss Re "Egg" building in the background.

And Greenwich itself, at least the areas we visited was really quaint and charming. It's mostly known as the home of the Prime Meridan and the namesake of Greenwich Mean Time.


We spent time wandering through the Royal Observatory learning all about the Greenwich Mean Time and the beginning of time keeping devices, very interesting stuff.

View of Canary Wharf from the Royal Observatory

View of National Maritime Museum and Canary Wharf from Royal Observatory


Chicago, always in our hearts.

We also wandered through the parks and, of course, had to stop at the wonderful playground-a toddlers dream.

After that we had a delicious Italian lunch, took the boat back home and were back in time for nap time.

We will definitely be adding this as a must do for our guests, at least the river cruise part of it.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

How fun does that look! London is definitely a beautiful city!

Tabitha said...

It does look like fun. :) I would imagine that excursions like this make your time there both go by faster and be more memorable.

Anonymous said...

Mac is looking so cosmopolitan these days!