Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Too busy to blog

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Which means I have lots to blog about, just not finding or making any time to get it done.

Anyway, we rented a car and had a lovely getaway to the Cotswolds this past weekend. Mackenzie seems to think every weekend involves a train, airplane and/or a hotel so we indulged her again. She gets such a kick out of new hotel rooms which we are so thankful for as the opposite would be mean much less travel for us. She bounds into the rooms saying "there's my new bed!" and usually happily goes to sleep when it's time.

Speaking of hotels, we had a National Lampoon's European Vacation moment when looking for our hotel in Cheltenham on Saturday. We had a good idea of where it was but couldn't manage to get the one or two streets over that we needed to. Mac was her ever helpful self shouting "there's hotel!" "there's hotel daddy!" from the backseat.

The Cotswolds are about one of the most charming areas I've ever seen. Everything is so pictoresque but I hardly took any pictures. I don't know what my deal was, just lazy I guess. Or maybe it's that everything was so gorgeous it was hard to decide what to photograph.

We saw so many lush landscapes, including brussel sprout fields-a first for us, adorable animals including miniature ponies and of course lots of sheep (the residents of the Cotswolds were and very successful wool producers), many quaint shops and wonderful markets. Just a lovely, lovely place!

I'll leave you with just a few shots from our trip for now and a plan to catch up on my blogging soon.



These pictures were taken from the car and don't begin to do justice to just how beautiful the landscapes are and how adorable the houses are.


Mac and I on Sheep Street in Chipping Camden. We saw as Sheep Street in at least 3 of the towns we visited. Most of the buildings, like this one, are made from local limestone and have turned this rich golden color.


Daddy and Mackenzie in the old Market Place in Chipping Camden. It was built in the 17th century. And in case you didn't know, Chipping means "market" in Old English.

We also visited Bourton-on-the-Water and Stow-on-the-Wold. Are those the greatest town names or what?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, it looks like you had a wonderful time and are taking advantage of so many fun travel opportunities. The pictures are awesome--sure makes South Dakota seem simple.........

Love to all of you,
Shelley

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful trip and it is such fun to see Mackenzie delight in hotel rooms. Puts a good perspective on any of us that complain! Pretty soon you will be an expert opposite side of the road driver!