Sunday, July 13, 2008

Date night(s)!

On Friday AND Saturday night Jeremy and I got to enjoy a night out on the town and for me, the first time exploring London after 6pm! We found a good babysitting service (and they charge less than $16. Not much less but Chicago got us used to that), so I tucked Mac into bed and off we went.

Friday night we headed to the Piccadilly Circus area of London (kinda like Times Square in London) to see a movie and have dinner.


We got our tickets to the flick and after almost passing out from how much they were we grabbed a quick snack of sushi and ate it on the street corner in the rain. No fancy dinner for us, gotta pinch those pennies somehow. The movie theater was by far the fanciest we've ever been in though so I guess we should have smuggled our dinner into the theater to take advantage of the ambiance. You can even reserve your seats, a new thing for us.

Part of the excitement of the evening was riding the Tube. I have ridden it a few times but none of the lines I've ridden are anything like the Piccadilly. It is waaaay undeground and a bit unnerving. It probably doesn't help that Monday was the 3rd anniversary of the 7/7 London bombings so my mind kept drifting to the worst case scenario. I took a picture of the long escalator but it didn't turn out so I'll have to post one another time.


This is Jeremy running up the escalator, and he still has a ways to go.


On Saturday we went out with our friend Eric from Minneapolis and then Chicago and now sometimes London(yes, we're following him around the world) and some of his friends. We enjoyed an international music festival in Hyde Park, had some drinks at a pub near the Marble Arch and then had dinner at a Turkish restaurant in the King's Cross neighborhood so we got quite a tour of the north part of the city. I also had my first ride in a hackney, or black cab. Eric had me sit in the jump seat and I promptly fell off on the first sharp turn but he says that wasn't planned.

Overall, a great weekend in London!

1 comment:

ChicagoMama said...

Looks like you are settling in and having a good time. Glad you two have finally seen London at NIGHT! I am sure it is awesome. :)